Freeware / Shareware
At the moment this list is grouped by web site, with the most recent additions at the top, since this is the easiest way to maintain the data. In the future, when the list becomes so large that this grouping becomes a burden, it will be split into categories.
Site / Co. Description CodeJockey MFC Extension library
The CodeJockey MFC Extension library is comprised of several articles and classes, that Kirk Stowell and others have written. These classes are used to easily give your application that cool look that is seen in the Microsoft Office and Visual Studio products.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. (FREEWARE)
wxWindows is a robust C++ library and collection of utilities to allow programming on multiple platforms: Windows 3.1, Windows 95, UNIX Motif, UNIX OpenLook, UNIX Xt, and Mac. You would normally use this instead of MFC, although they can coexist in the same project. The wxWindows project is run much like Linux: a group of hard-core volunteers writing high-quality, free software. In my opinion, this library is much better organized than MFC in general, and offers many feature MFC does not have. The only downside is that OLE and other Windows-only technologies are not supported. But you'd be surprised at how much is supported. Source code included.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. (FREEWARE)
Exemplar Setup Toolkit -- Consists of an AppWizard which generates the MFC source code to a robust, feature packed setup application, an MFC class library to support the setup application, and a utility to create distribution images: floppies, CD-ROMs, Internet downloads, etc.
It is designed to make creating a setup applications quick and easy for MFC developers - the AppWizard scans your project's .MAK files to set its options and it understands all about installing ODBC, Crystal Reports and the MFC DLLs. The author claims that the generated setup application has more features than any InstallShield3 setup application he has ever encountered. It includes crucial features such as support for product upgrades, Administrator, Add/Remove Components, Reinstall (very handy for those pesky ODBC system files which never seem to stay put) and Remove All setup types and the Typical, Compact and Custom setup types you are accustomed to seeing.
It is available now and the price is $99. A Cross-Platform Edition is also available for those who need to support multiple languages, UNICODE, Macintosh and UNIX. (SHAREWARE)
A variety of neat programs (some with source code):
- ASCII Table - Displays the ASCII character set, along with the decimal, hexadecimal, and octal codes for each character. Also displays the characters' names and the corresponding control-key combination. (FREEWARE)
- CShortcut - MFC 4.x class that encapsulates shortcuts or shell links on Win 95 and NT 4.0. It allows you to easily create and modify shortcuts using familiar MFC paradigms. (FREEWARE)
- CDriveSpace - MFC 4.x class derived from CStatic that displays a gauge depicting the amount of free space on a given drive. (FREEWARE)
- Property Sheet - Example of how to create an MFC 4.x app that is property sheet based (i.e. property sheet is the main window). (FREEWARE)
A variety of programs from a pretty prolific author:
- QuickChart - a financial data viewer (SHAREWARE)
- URLegal - an HTTP link checker (SHAREWARE)
- MetaFix - a financial data editor (SHAREWARE)
- FullDisk - a hard drive profiler (SHAREWARE)
- MiniClk - an ultra-small desktop clock (FREEWARE)
Quma Version Control System
QVCS is affordable ($25) version control, and has the features you need for smaller projects. It lets you:
- Store/retrieve file revisions.
- Insert keywords into your source code for automated documentation and audit trail generation.
- Use a global journal file to keep track of all changes to files in your project(s).
- Keep track of who changed what, and when they changed it.
- Label revisions for a release.
- Restore a project to an earlier labeled release.
- Allow modification access to files on a file by file basis.
- Compare files to earlier revisions or compare revisions to other revisions
- Create a parallel development branch (branching)
- Merge edits made to the same revision.
- And more ...
Meta Four Software
MetaKit 1.6 Library -- This shareware class library allows you to store and transport structured data. Its features are:
MetaKit is well suited for a wide range of applications:
- Stores nested data structures, loads them on-demand
- Instant (on-the-fly) restructuring of data files
- Fail-safe storage, with stable commit/rollback
- Data can be used on any platform, and supports streaming
- Scalable: from tiny preference-files to multi-Mb data
- Automatic integer/bit-field/string/binary field sizing
- High speed: add 10,000 rows per second on Win32 P5-166
- Now available for DOS, Windows, Macintosh, Unix, and VMS
- Small footprint: Win 3.1 DLL is less than 90 Kb
- Can link as static library for standalone programs
- Basic version uses MFC for strings, file I/O, containers
- Universal version: use with any framework, portable
- Very simple C++ API, only a few small public header files
- Shareware "try before you buy" version for Windows
- $25 for personal use (source: $90/win, $165/univ)
- Support via web site, at least 3 releases per 12 months
- Client-side caching in client/server apps
- Transporting structured data over the net
- Address books, contact managers, PIMs
- Secure storage based on encrypted data files
- Disk catalogs (see included CatFish sample code)
- As storage manager for components (OCX/ActiveX)
- Built-in database for vertical applications
CatFish -- A fast disk catalog browser. (FREEWARE)
Ed Smetak and Mike Knewtson of NanoSoft Corporation have created a class library that allows the user to resize dialogs, form views, property sheets, etc. (FREEWARE)
Windows Encryption Toolkit -- Provides 16 bit and 32 bit royalty free DLLs. It is written in Visual C++ and can be used with almost any language. The latest version is 2.03 so the file name is WET203.EXE. The standard shareware version has NO -- as in ZERO -- limitations of any kind! (SHAREWARE)
AppTranslator -- helps you translate your Windows Application into foreign languages. (SHAREWARE)
InfoSpy -- a powerful utility that provides monitoring, spying, tracing, security, screen capture, technical support features, program stress testing and terminal security in a single configurable program. InfoSpy includes standalone security, scheduling, bitmap editing and TechFax utilities. (SHAREWARE)
The CustomSoft Web Page
Backup 32 -- a script driven file copy utility that was written to make copying MFC project files less tedious. Backup32 features an internal script editor, extensive help and several useful backup flags that allow file copy, file move, file delete, copy based time/date stamp, etc.
BinEdit32 -- a hexadecimal/ASCII file editor that will load and edit any file at the byte level. Maximum loaded file size is determined by available memory. BinEdit comes with extensive help and features search and virtually unlimited undo.
Retab32 -- a C/C++ source code beautifier/formatter. Retab32 features numerous format and operations options as well as batch or individual file processing. Retab32 always preserves the original file before formatting begins and can be launched from within the Microsoft Visual C++ IDX as a tool. Retab32 comes with complete on line help.
TextSearch32 -- scans ASCII text files for a string that you specify. When a match is found (up to about 2500 matches), TextSearch32 displays the file name, line number and the entire line on which the match was found. TextSearch32 comes with complete on line help.
The Unofficial WorldCom MFC Library Site A free Grid control and some custom property pages. Funduc Software Inc.
Decode Windows 95 Shell Extension -- for UUENCODE or MIME.
INI to Registry Utility.
Search(grep) and Replace utility. (SHAREWARE)
RC-WinTrans -- Windows resource translator. (SHAREWARE)